Eat Me, Hypertext

Some months ago, I watched a Google Tech Talk about emacs org mode and it so enamored me that a I had to harmonize all my work on it. So I fumbled around for a few weeks until I came upon the changse that I've just made to this web site.

For whatever reason, whenever I pushed the generated hypertext to my server, the stylesheets wouldn't appear to work. I screwed around for hours trying to figure out why.

Turns out whenever I have the following tag …

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

… in the markup and that markup is being served out by a web server, the browser applies a schema that prevents my style sheet from working. Thanks, W3C and browser developers, for making that suck so much for me. If I just open the file locally, no schema is enforced.

It was terribly upsetting to have to look at HTML after going through all the effort of trying to push it out of my life. Stupid HTML.

Date: 2012-05-09 00:54

Author: Anthony "Ishpeck" Tedjamulia

Org version 7.9.3f with Emacs version 24

Validate XHTML 1.0